Tuesday, October 10, 2006

 

Blondes Road Trip

This past weekend Dancing Blonde and Larimar Blonde went on a road trip. Yes sir we went out of town. To the Big City. On the road again.....

Okay, so I am getting carried away, but it was exciting..... We went all the way to Santiago. First you need to understand that here in Puerto Plata we are a little bit limited. Our idea of shopping is pathetic here. Outside of some tourist type shops and a few "decent" shops - our choice is limited. And we really don't have a fabulous selection of restaurants etc either. But that is understandable. Puerto Plata has anywhere from 75,000 to 150,000 people (depends who you ask). Santiago on the other hand is a major city with over 750,000 people. Don't quote me on those numbers, I will confirm them.

Anyway off we went on Saturday. Larimar Blonde had some things to do before we could leave, you know like washing and clean up etc. So off we went about noon! It was a beautiful sunny day, we had our shades on, CD playing Bachatta music, we were good. We chatted happily as we drove. All of a sudden Larimar says, oh it is 27.5 Kilometers to the bridge. Okay, so what??? No write that down. I dutifully wrote that down - I was not driving at the time. Then a little further - it's exactly 30.7 KM - write that down. Now I am a secretary. Turns out she was measuring from the Malecon (main street on the harbour in Puerto Plata) to the bridge and to the turnoff for Damajagua falls. Oh well now that makes sense........... yeah right.

Actually she was thinking ahead. She wanted to be able to tell friends and family how far down the road the falls were from Puerto Plata. The falls are a highly recommended attraction for tourists and locals. I love it!!! Now we know how far to go and then look for the turnoff..........

Well in case you want to know it is 53.5 KM to the turnoff to Navarette. This is a town west of Santiago. Not sure why you would want to know that........

On our drive we chatted about many things including our social lives. We have made a pact to broaden our social lives. We get stereotyped here. Where Larimar Blonde works they were shocked to learn that we don't go to "tourist bars", that we prefer local dance clubs. In fact we very rarely go where the tourists go. So, we have decided to go out at least one time per week to somewhere new! Watch this space for reports. The first will be to Eskina (means Corner in Spanish)

We arrived in Santiago and went shopping! WE were on a mission. Yes Dancing Blonde (me) wanted some new tops for going out dancing. We found one fairly easily on Calle Del Sol. It is in downtown Santiago and is a street lined with lots of shops and McDonalds. I had to go in there and get some fries! Just love those fries. We had a very good time wandering through all the stores. My favourite is shoe stores. They are full of shoes I could hardly walk on let alone dance in but I still love to look.

We went to a department store called La Sirena. It has just about everything you can imagine there. Well we pulled into the parking lot and Larimar stops at the entrance for her parking ticket. She is handed the ticket and says Gracias (thank you) Instead of de nada (your welcome ) she gets: I love you. Well we hooted with laughter. This country is so very good for your ego....

We went to the home of a friend here and his wife. They have a two bedroom apartment they rent as a bed and breakfast. What a wonderful couple they are! I adore them.

Later we were picked up by Mr. A. who was taking us to meet up with Mr. B and his girlfriend for a chat, drinks, dinner and then dancing. It is the first time I have spent any time with Mr. A. - he is a real impressive guy. What you see is what you get. What he thinks is what he will say. He holds nothing back and I love that. You don't have to agree with him but you have to respect his right to speak his mind. Great thing is you can do the same. He is also very very funny!!!

Mr. B and his girlfriend are fabulous too, very funny, very open people who are comfortable to be with. But Mr. B, where is my chocolate this time???

We had a fabulous dinner at Parrellita, means little BBQ, good food with good prices. Then off to a club to see Tono Rosario! It was great but we were about an hour later getting there then we should have been. We had seats well in the back. We enjoyed the music and the scenery (if you know what I mean girls.....) Mr. A. dances pretty good! He has lived here for 8 years. I think he met his new wife to be on Saturday night.

Sorry Mr. B, you dance like a white boy. But you get an A for effort!!! I danced a little but we were too far in the back. It was great fun and we will go back there again.

Sunday morning we were made breakfast by our hosts. His lovely wife regaled us with stories. This woman is a professor of Mathematics. I am impressed. He is a history professor, also impressive AND he can cook. Makes him a star in my eyes.

We did more shopping Sunday morning then headed back. We were here in Puerto Plata by 4. We had a really good time and Iknow we will go back.

So then I met some friends who are visiting from Canada, visited with them for an hour then home to change as the Blondes were going dancing.

My friend brought me this lovely red top so of course I had to wear it out that night. Me and Larimar headed to the club. I was bored silly for the first 1 1/2 hours, not sure what that was about. No dancing hardly, wierd crowd.

Then this nicely dressed man asked me to dance. Hmmmmmmmmmm then more and more and more. I danced the rest of the night. Now I was having fun. 5 minutes before he asked me though we were thinking of heading elsewhere. Then Really Tall blonde showed up. She is always entertaining.

We always seem to have a good time. Must be something about 3 blondes at a table...... Well I went home with 3 phone numbers, 3 offers and 1 date! Just one evening in paradise. Funny thing is - the 1 date is with a fellow here from Santiago.......... I thought that was quite ironic.



Here is a photo of the new traffic light in Santiago. Larimar and I saw this and had to take a picture. It isn' t the best but you get the idea. the numbers count down from 65 to when the light will turn green. Then it starts at 65 and counts down to the red again. Way cool. My comment: Gentlemen start your engines.


Do you know the Dominican definition of Split Second? It is the time between when the light turns green and the horns start blasting.

That is all for today folks.... Until next time.

Comments:
this is MR B...hey your toes went unscathed..... and you should see me break dance......ha ha ha

isnt downttown Santiago a blast....funny we were in McDs that day as well!!!

as SOMEONE wants a black and gold shoulder bag....and even the malls in danbury CT dont have one...but she loves looking anyway.

I think Mr A met several future wives that night.

BUT who got their picture taken with Tono...in the motor home huh huh huh......Do I have a picture of you with a future husband???????? ha ha h

Mr B out
 
this is MR B...hey your toes went unscathed..... and you should see me break dance......ha ha ha

isnt downttown Santiago a blast....funny we were in McDs that day as well!!!

as SOMEONE wants a black and gold shoulder bag....and even the malls in danbury CT dont have one...but she loves looking anyway.

I think Mr A met several future wives that night.

BUT who got their picture taken with Tono...in the motor home huh huh huh......Do I have a picture of you with a future husband???????? ha ha h

Mr B out
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?