Monday, October 16, 2006

 

The Blondes Weekend

I have an update for you today: info on our weekend – lots of adventure…..


While I am going to update on the weekend I feel we have to backtrack to Wednesday night first! Friends are visiting from Toronto and only here for a week so we took them out for a Local experience. Off we went to a favourite dance place. We arrived with our usual cast of blondes – myself (Dancing Blonde) Larimar, Blonde Brit and ReallyTall Blonde. Our visitor became Just a Little Bit Blonde ( she has a few highlights). Her boyfriend, a true blonde, had a little too much sun and rum so he stayed at the hotel.

Well we had told our visitor tales of our previous adventures and she knew of the cast of characters. OF course meeting them in person is a whole other story. And of course add to that the strange events that can take place…..

First she met one of our regular dance partners (dancing boy) and she was shocked. Me too actually. He arrived wearing a small red hat, a heavy red sweatshirt and long shorts made of heavy red sweatshirt material. HE looked ridiculous, not to mention HOT! While it had been raining earlier in the evening it was certainly not cold! Understand that Dancing Boy thinks he is gods gift to the world on and off the dance floor!

He sat at our table with his sidekick and proceeded to make himself a drink. For those who don’t know in most local clubs you buy either beer – cervesa – or a bottle of rum and then you order your mix. You will receive the bottle, glasses, mix and as many glasses as you have people at the table. Very civilized and very inexpensive.

So it was not unusual for additional people to be at the table. Usually they are quite polite and are not pigs about helping themselves to your bottle. You do have to watch though….

Some dancing went on and that is always fun. It is nice to go out on Wednesday nights as the place is not jam packed as it can be on weekends. Shortly thereafter the dance partner left to go find some food. He was hungry. When he returned though he brought his attitude with him. Now I have often said that the emotional age of the average Dominican male is 9……….. This guy has an emotional age of 7 and that night it might have hit 5!!!

He returned to the table, emptied a glass, filled it half full with rum and left. Apparently (I didn’t see any of this) he took it outside for a “buddy” and then returned to the table. At this point our visitor blasted him with a look that said - just what do you think you are doing???? Well dancing boy gets in a snit, who does this woman think she is……. When I returned to the table he is sitting there with an attitude on, arms folded across his chest and I am thinking here comes the temper tantrum….. He then proceeded to tell me what a horrible person this woman is and how I should not be friends with her! I told him that was not his bottle to give away and he was inappropriate. And NO I did not use that word – he would not understand it and frankly I have no idea how to say that in Spanish. (He speaks no English)
The rest of the night he sat there, would not talk to us and would not dance with me. You see I am being punished. He won’t dance with me because he is mad at her! Now doesn’t that just make sense…….LOL

Friday night we all went dancing again. This time we went to Terraza Caribe. All the usual cast of characters were there along with our visitors boyfriend. He needed to see what all the fuss was.

Dancing boy refused to sit with us! I was still being punished. Okay, whatever.

Warning to Toronto – our friends are taking all their new dance moves back to Canada to lead you all astray! They were amazed that this was called dancing – they call it foreplay! We had a great evening, the place was not full, lots of people to dance with and justice. See dancing boy wouldn’t dance with me and I still had lots of guys who can dance. Dancing boy didn’t do so well though, he ended up dancing with a local girl who could not keep up and he dumped her on her butt. Poor her, but no sympathy for him. He looked like an idiot.

Saturday our visitors left – I always miss them when they are gone. Larimar and I went to Playa Dorada together in the evening. The hotel association and the Ministry of Tourism along with our favourite company – Brugal Rum - are sponsoring a series of 7 Saturday night events. We went to the first a concert with a band from Santo Domingo. It was fabulous! We had a great time. The music was amazing. And it is always a treat to get live music outdoors. The weather co operated until 10:30, right after the fireworks the skies opened up and we had a 10 minute downpour.

Afterwards we went to check out Roadway – no thanks, then on to Hemingways where we stayed for a drink. It is always good to be reminded of why you don’t like a place. I have had a good time on occasion in Hemingways but for the most part I don’t like tourist bars. I don’t like the music, I don’t like how many tourists behave and I don’t like how some Dominican men prey on tourists. Yuck.

Sunday I woke at 6 am to rain pounding on the roof. It rained for most of the morning and finally finished about 10 am. Larimar and I went off to Field of Dreams (http://fieldofdreams.20m.com/) for breakfast. This has become a regular event for us. We have a great breakfast that is well priced and usually meet I up with people we know. We also get to watch the antics of those who stay there. It ranges from very comical to loud and obnoxious on occasion, you never know with tourists. Then quite often we will spend an hour or so by the pool working on our tan lines. But not yesterday, we were expecting the rain to continue not for the sun to come out! And they were in the process of receiving a large group of guests just checking in so we got out of there.....

My fridge decided to pack it in yesterday too! I called my handy repairman who made time to come and see me later in the afternoon. Turns out the fan thingy (technical term ) is broken. He took it apart and will buy a new one for me today and bring it back to install sometime after 5 (which is about now).

Sunday night it was more dancing! I guess I didn’t get enough in already on the weekend. Our first stop didn’t work out – way too full. It was payday on Saturday so everyone was out on Sunday night. We went to Terraza Caribe where they were advertising a bachatta band. Well let me tell you they were awful !!! If I could have found the master electrical switch I would have turned it OFF. They played meringue and bachatta, most of it badly, most of it seemed to have the same beat regardless of how fast it should have been. They talk wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy too much. One of my rules: never give a Dominican a microphone. They love the sound of their own voices. They would start singing a song, without accompaniment and get two choruses in and stop! They didn’t actually know the whole song. Ahhhhhhhhhhh. Just play music. I was praying for them to get the hell off the stage.

Somehow we still managed to have fun! I danced danced danced. Now, a little confession. I promised myself and actually said it out loud – I was not going to dance with Dancing Boy any more. Well I broke down and danced salsa with him last night. I can’t help it. Saying NO is like punishing myself. It is just so good to dance salsa with him. But that is all, just salsa.

I danced lots with other men too. Larimar got up and danced both meringue and bachatta last night too. Way to go blue eyes. When I returned to my apartment last night it was straight to the shower, then to bed!

Tonight Larimar and I are off to watch the baseball game. The Mets and the Cardinals in the final of their series tonight. We will go about 8pm, have a drink and cheer for the Mets. I want the Mets and Detroit ! Go Detroit…………..

Comments:
I have seen guys wearing winter boots(Timberland)in the DR that I didn't understand lol
You had some funny adventures :)
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?