Thursday, October 05, 2006

 

The first Blonde on why she loves the DR

Who am I? Why am I here?

I'm not a doctor, but I try to live my life informed by an oath to do no harm and to leave each place I inhabit a little better than I found it. I believe medicine practice was originally based on love, compassion and the care for human beings and I like to think that these virtues inform my life from time to time, when I’m not “working it” on the dance floor.

Music and Dance

I love the music and dances of the Dominican Republic -- merengue and bachata. And now I also know what is the margarena. I didn't have any big intentions when I chose to visit DR. It was merely a vacation destination where I could practice my Spanish and engage my love of dance while enjoying the sun and sand with my daughter. We share of love of dance and we see it as a form of spiritual expression. Sometimes we lose ourselves and connect with that inner infinite centre that is the source of love. Sometimes to see us together dancing in the kitchen, we are just two blondes “working it.”

Los Corbanitos – take me there!

As for my visit to DR, I met some lovely people there in my all-inclusive prison guarded by the animation team. I obtained a tiny glimpse of life on that island and it left me wanting more. The natural beauty, the language, music and the people; as well, the juxtaposition of wealth and poverty call out to me on so many levels. Some force within me is pulling me south. I can’t explain it, but I keep revisiting it. I feel I’m coming full circle, as clichéd as that sounds, returning to some original plan I had a young woman to make the world a better place. For a couple years now I've been joking with my friends about traveling, studying Spanish and teaching English just so I can get my salsa fix. But my brothers who know me more for my past than my present, all comment that one-day they are sure I’ll be happily handing out blankets somewhere during some disaster. There’s something about the Dominican Republic that intrigues me. I want to be there at that point where the sky meets the sea, where the sun warms the earth. Somehow all the colours seem more saturated, intense and jewel-like on that little island. I find that intensity stimulating. I want to go to Los Corbanitos with someone I love and never see the water. I will definitely return to the Dominican Republic.

Where is my home?!

I met the Blondes, through some strange technologically mediated introduction over the Internet. Someone told me to search for Dancing Blonde because she would have the answer to my burning question – “Where is the salsa in DR?” So in some way my communications work that uses Internet technology to share information with laboratories and physicians has connected me to a new community unlike any other -- The DR Blondes. Through my contact with Laramar Blonde, Long Distance Blonde, Really Tall Blonde and Dancing Blonde, I’m seriously considering the possibility of relocating to DR. Maybe sometime in the near future, you’ll see me on the dance floor of La Canita with the beautiful blondes of Puerto Plata. Since I visited that beautiful island and returned to Canada, I can't help wondering if I need to leave my country to find my home.

Until next time, take care....
and dance like no one is watching! ;)

Comments:
I fully agree with you about the south. I consider myself a San Juanero at heart, I just love the area, and i also prefer the coast along the south and southwest.

If you want information about teaching English here, I can furnish you with some from my own experiences but I dont have much good to say about it. It is not a very good way to make a living here (unlike Asia, where infact ESL teaching provides a decent wage and is undertaken seriously). But you may be an enterprising sort and perhaps you could start your own company. that is probably the only way to do it.
 
Thanks el viralata! for your generous offer to share your knowledge about ESL teaching in DR and your images. I'll write you and we can discuss the opportunities and the state of teaching there. I love your blog and the images you post there. I'm working on my Spanish but I get the gist of what you are saying and I think you demonstrate great sensitivity in both your use of language and images and I think it's coming from your heart.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?