Saturday, January 27, 2007

 

We got tagged

We got tagged by Chiri some time ago. So here is the first installment of:

5 Things About Me: Dr. Blonde


Five things about me

1. Although I’ve been a vegetarian since I was 2 years of age, occasionally (once every 3-4 years or so) I will eat a few strips of very well cooked, crispy bacon.

2. I’m Shiah, member of one of the two main branches of orthodox Islam. I was raised a Roman Catholic and Joan is my confirmation name, however I converted to Islam at the request of my then husband’s family. Six years after I was married, I had my marriage retroactively solemnized so that my daughter’s birth would be legitimate in the eyes of the Islamic Republic of Iran. I have an Iranian birth certificate that states I was born in St. Catharine’s, Ontario, Canada. He would have been better off getting a bride from this Web site. http://www.jeevansathi.com/index.php?source=g_mu&gclid=CMi0sb-J_4kCFQboPgodk2WiUQ My Islamic name is Soraiya. When I converted to Islam, I spent several hours reading the Koran to find a suitable name. I chose Ra’hela (Rachel) the name of Jacob’s wife, the son Isaac, Grandson son of Abraham, the mother of Yousef and Benjamin all linked to Abraham the patriarch of Judaism, Islam and Christianity mentioned in Genesis and the Koran. I thought it was an interesting link to three world religions with rich mythologies. I like stories and great myths. The mullah didn’t like this name because is means “has the shoulders of a camel”. So he claimed. How the hell should I know, and was I in any position to contradict him? I told him I read it in the Koran. He was flabbergasted. I said that it was perfect. He said,”No, Soraiya is better.” So... now I am Soraiya. It was an important lesson for me, in power and the place of women. I needed two witnesses for that second marriage; but women only count as half a person in the Islamic code. So I had one man and two women at my second marriage. Funny thing is, I don’t even think Soraiya is a Muslim name, I think it’s Persian.

3. I ran 2 half-marathons eights weeks apart. In a Blonde world, 2 halves make a whole.

4. I lived in Moscow for 5 months while I studied political economy, philosophy and Russian. It’s a long story, but I had a rebel youth.

5. Now for something really salacious for Chiri. I had a boyfriend who was 18 years younger. He was Chilean and he told me “what difference does a little age difference make?” But he had no idea about that little difference, he thought I was a lot younger. And when I found out about his own rebel youth, I threw away all my reservations and we had a meeting of the minds so to speak. It lasted a year. We broke up, we made up, we broke up, we made up, we broke up. It was the high school experience I never had. And guess what! He’s calling me, we’re talking. He’s wining me, dining me and giving me that look again. Aie! Where are all my self-help books, never lend your books to your friends!

Comments:
Great stuff Dr Blonde! I like Soraiya - and it is a Persian name, as is Roxana. I'm a vegetarian too, have been for almost 25 years, but my weakness is serrano or parma ham.
 
Well said.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?